The miracles of baking soda
Not just limited to baking, baking soda can be used round and about your home to keep it spick and span
This fine white powder does more than help your baked goods rise. Use it around the house to help with cleaning and odour control without needing to buy more cleaning products. Here are a few ways to use baking soda in and around your house to help keep it clean while saving money.
- If your kitchen sink is clogged, boil a pot of water and pour it down your drain. Afterwards, pour half a cup of baking soda down and follow up with one cup of vinegar. Cover this with a drain plug to make sure the reaction happens below the brain’s surface. Wait five to 10 minutes then follow up with another pot of boiling water.
- For a funky smelling fridge, fill a cup with baking soda and put it in the back of your fridge to help neutralise odours.
- Make a paste with baking soda and a little bit of water to help remove stains from coffee cups, the insides of your oven or kitchen tiles.
- To freshen up your sofa or carpet, sprinkle baking soda all over the surfaces and leave it for 10 minutes or so. Afterwards, vacuum up the baking soda and enjoy a fresher living room!
- Sometimes, the strange smell in your living room could come from your shoe rack! Pour two tablespoons of baking soda into empty tea bags and secure with a piece of string or rubber band. Place them into your shoes to help absorb moisture and keep your shoes dry and stink-free.
- For those who are sensitive to synthetic fragrances, make your own air freshener! Fill a cup with half a cup of baking soda and add 10-15 drops of your favourite essential oils to it. Then, cover the cup with cloth and secure with a rubber band or string. When the scent becomes light, give the cup a little shake to help release the scent.
- If your gym clothes are super stinky, soak them in a bucket of cold water with a cup of baking soda overnight. Launder your clothes the next day and enjoy fresh smelling gym clothes!
- Baking soda could help brighten your clothes by adding half a cup of baking soda to the wash when you add in your regular liquid detergent.
Sidebox: BIN TIP!
Garbage bins can get quite stinky especially if you’re busy and can’t throw out the rubbish every day. Sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of your garbage bin to help eliminate odours and prevent the stink from spreading to the rest of your home.