Turmeric is commonly known as the “Indian saffron” or “the golden spice” due to its hue. This root plant is a staple in Indian and Malay cuisines and it’s now becoming increasingly popular around the world and there’s a very good reason why! Turmeric has a long list of health benefits and here are some of them that you would want to take note of:
- Ground turmeric is a major ingredient in curry powder that gives curry its colour.
- This yellow root contains curcumin, a substance that contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- In Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric is used to relieve symptoms of inflammation such as pain and swelling.
- The benefits of curcumin in turmeric is wide enough to help treat symptoms of arthritis, prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and cancer.
- Turmeric is available in many forms such as capsules, tea, powder, extracts and is often found in many cosmetic products too.
- Antioxidants in turmeric, may provide glow and luster to the skin. Homemade turmeric face mask can revive your skin by bringing out its natural glow.
Tip: Mix small amounts of Greek yogurt, honey and turmeric together and apply to your face. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
Sources: Healthline, WebMD