Healthy Smoothies: Great for Everybody
Healthy, fast and delicious!
As parents and caregivers, one of our main priorities is to ensure that our children receive the essential nutrients needed to grow healthily. We believe one of the best ways to get nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables into your kids’ diet is through smoothies!
Smoothies (not fruit juices) are a great way for kids to receive their daily fruit and veggie quota as all edible parts of the fruit, including its fibres are blended into a delicious beverage. Plus, they’re great for adults too!
So, it’s time to yell “smoothie time” and get your kids running towards you as you try out these smoothie recipes.
|½ cup||Strawberries, frozen|
|½ cup||Raspberries, frozen|
|½ cup||Mango, frozen|
|½ cup||Pineapple, frozen|
|½ cup||Spinach, frozen|
|½ cup||Blueberries, frozen|
|½ cup||Blackberries, frozen|
|5 frozen||Bananas, sliced|
|3 cups||Coconut water|
- Separate frozen fruits in their specified quantities on a cutting board.
- Start by making the red smoothie layer. Blend together strawberries, raspberries and ¼ cup coconut water. Pour into a separate bowl.
- To make the orange layer, blend together mango, ½ banana, and ¼ cup of coconut water. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- For the yellow layer, blend together pineapple, 1 frozen banana, and ¼ cup of coconut water. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- As for the green layer, add the spinach, one frozen banana, ¼ cup of coconut water and blend till smooth. Again, transfer this to a separate bowl.
- Lastly, to make the purple layer, blend together the blackberries, blueberries and ¼ cup of coconut water and keep it aside in a bowl.
How to assemble a rainbow smoothie
- Arrange the bowls of smoothies according to the rainbow colours.
- Once ready, use a spoon to layer each colour into a glass cup with about three to four tablespoons in each layer.
- Be careful not to add too much at once, or the colours will run together.
- Serve and let your kids enjoy the colours of the rainbow!
STRAWBERRY MANGO SMOOTHIE
|2 cups||Coconut water|
|1 cup||Frozen strawberries|
|1 fresh||Mango, diced|
|1 tbsp||Fresh ginger root, chopped|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
- Pour coconut water, frozen strawberries, mango, ginger and cinnamon in a blender.
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
PEACH AND SWEET POTATO SMOOTHIE
|1 banana||Frozen works best, sliced|
|1 cup||Peaches, frozen (if using fresh add in 4-6 ice cubes)|
|2 tbsp||Frozen sweet potatoes|
|⅛ tsp||Vanilla extract (optional)|
|1 cup||Milk of your choice|
- Place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend for about two to three minutes or until smooth.
- Serve cold and enjoy!