Footwear Guide for Diabetics
3 important points diabetics need to note when shopping for shoes
Why is it important for diabetics to find the right pair of shoes?
A condition called neuropathy may develop among diabetics, which is nerve damage as a result of poor blood circulation due to high blood sugar. This condition can cause a loss of sensation in your feet and hence, you will not be able to feel if there’s a cut, injury, blisters and open sores. If left untreated, it could lead to an infection.
Hence, it’s important for diabetics to wear comfortable shoes, as this would also reduce the chances of an issue developing. Here are some important points that you should not disregard when shopping for a pair of shoes:
- Shoes made out of flexible material such as leather or canvas.
- Shoes with laces that will give you the flexibility to tighten or loosen your shoe when needed.
- A fit that gives your toes room.
- Shoes that do not fit properly.
- Shoes without arch support.
- Pointed or peep toe shoes as it could restrict blood circulation.
- Wearing high-heels frequently.