Ever wondered what warts are?
Warts are small bumps on your skin caused by Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Warts are more likely to develop on broken skin, such as picked hangnails or areas nicked by shaving. This is because the virus is able to enter the top layer of your skin through scratches or cuts.
These unsightly and sometimes painful growth seem to pop up out of nowhere but you can do something about it.
ARE WARTS PREVENTABLE?
Despite the fact that skin warts can’t be prevented, there are quite a few safety measures you can take to reduce your risk of warts such as:
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Do not pick on warts as it will only make it worse.
- Moisturise your skin daily.
- Avoid biting fingernails or cuticles as it creates an opening for virus to enter your skin.
- Always wear shower shoes when you’re in a communal bathing facility.
WILL WARTS GO AWAY BY ITSELF?
Some warts will go away without treatment, whereas others may not but there are many effective ways to remove them.
It is best to treat warts as soon as it appears as it can be a “mother” wart that can be the reason of why you may have many other warts on your body.
If your warts worsen by day, it is wise to seek medical attention as warts can develop at any area of your body and it could most definitely affect your self-confidence.